By Emily Schmidt
During the past 15 years, working from home has become more and more commonplace. Why? For up to 90 percent of moms, a desire to spend more time with the kids is the number one reason to work from home, notes Parenting.com. If home is where you want to be working, mom, this guide can help you achieve your dream:
How to Choose the Ideal Industry
Choose the right industry. It’s arguably the most important first step to take. You’ll need to do some thinking, as well as quite a bit of research in order to make this decision. Some of the things to consider include:
- What type of skills and talents do you have?
- Is there something you’re really passionate about?
- If you’ve already established a career, do you want to work from home doing something related to that, or jump into a brand new career?
- What do you want out of a work-from-home job? Do you want some extra money or the opportunity to earn a living doing something that you love?
- How much time are you able to devote?
Once you’ve answered these questions for yourself, do some research by talking to other moms who work from home. Even if you don’t know any personally, you can meet many online through sites such as WAHM.com. This is a great way to get inspired and discover the wide variety of opportunities available. They range from web design, freelance writing, data entry and other administrative work, to social media management, arts and crafts and marketing.
Set Up Your Office with the Necessary Gear
Once you’ve made the decision to work from home, you’ll need to set up your office or work area with the necessary gear. One of the essential tools is, of course, a computer. A laptop or tablet will provide the flexibility required to work from wherever you happen to be. And that’s important for any busy mom. If you need to take the kids to dance or karate lessons, you’ll have the ability to work and watch them in action at the same time.
The ThinkPad Tablet 2 could be the best tablet, with up to 10 hours of battery life, as well as 2GB of memory, providing the ultimate business tool for the work-from-home mom.
Depending on the type of work you do, office essentials generally include:
- Office supplies
- Internet connection
It’s important to have everything you need right at your fingertips in order to efficiently run your business.
Time management can be a challenging issue. Successful work-from-home moms have taken the following tips to heart:
- Establish a schedule, and stick to it as much as possible. While things may not always go as planned, it can help you to stay on track and keep up with all your responsibilities.
- Work when you are most productive. If you have more energy at night, schedule your most difficult tasks during this time, or whenever you feel you are at your best.
- Consider using a timer, and set it when you have a particular project to finish. During this time, stay away from Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, email and other distractions. Focus on getting the job at hand completed. If other time-wasting activities are part of your daily routine, work to eliminate them.
Emily is an accountant for a Fortune 500 business and she enjoys gardening, tennis and freelance writing in her down time.