Dazzle Your Guests with this Spectacular Appetizer
Any part of your meal can be barbecued to perfection. Take a look at this creative appetizer recipe by Jamie Purviance in his newest cookbook, Weber’s Smoke:
Cedar-planked Brie with Cherry Chutney and Toasted Almonds
Ideal grill: Charcoal
Smoke intensity: Moderate
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: about 10 minutes
Special equipment: 1 untreated cedar plank, 12 to 15 inches long and about 7 inches wide and ½ to ¾ inch thick, soaked in water for at least 1 hour.
Serves: 4 to 6
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons minced yellow onion
½ teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons peeled, minced fresh ginger
½ cup cherry preserves
Crushed red pepper flakes
1 wheel (8 ounces) Brie cheese
¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
Baguette slices or crackers
1. In a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the ginger, preserves, a pinch of cinnamon, and a pinch of red pepper flakes and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to very low and cook for 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
2. Prepare a two-zone fire for medium heat (350° to 450°F).
3. Brush the cooking grate clean. Place the soaked plank over direct medium heat and close the lid. After 5 to 10 minutes, when the plank begins to smoke and char, turn the plank over.
4. Set the Brie in the center of the plank and cook over direct medium heat with the lid closed, until the cheese softens and the rind turns a pale golden brown, about 10 minutes. Use a wide spatula to transfer the Brie to a serving plate.
5. Spoon half of the chutney over the cheese and top with the toasted almonds. Serve with bread or crackers and the remaining chutney on the side.
©2012 Weber-Stephen Products LLC. Recipe from Weber’s Smoke™ by Jamie Purviance. Used with permission.