These handy snacks are easy to make, chewy and delicious. Oh yes, they’re good for you too!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup raisins or dried cranberries (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine dry ingredients: Mix oats, wheat germ , brown sugar, cinnamon, flour, raisins or cranberries & salt.
- Get your hands in there! Make a well in the center of dry ingredients, and pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla. Using your hands, mix well and then pat the mixture evenly into a well greased 9×13 inch baking pan.( For chewier bars, leave a one inch gap around edges of pan)
- Bake for 18 to 25 minutes in a 350 degree F (175 C) oven until the edges of the bars turn golden brown.
- Cool for a few minutes, but make sure to cut the bars when they’re still warm or they will be too hard to cut.