We just spent a weekend up at the cottage, and I was excited to see there was a new kitchen gadget to play with: the Soda Stream.
I don’t need to get into too much detail about why regular and diet pop are unhealthy choices. They are:
– High in sugar, which our body stores as fat
– Contain artificial colours and flavours, such as caramel colouring
– High in caffeine, a chemical that can disrupt the nervous system
– Diet pop is full of aspartame, a chemical that can make our bodies crave real sugar and can cause headaches
If you consume store-bought carbonated beverages on a regular basis and you are looking for a healthy alternative you will love the Soda Stream for a bunch of reasons. It is:
– Easy to use. All you need is water! (Avoid the Sodamix flavors that come with it as they’re high in sugar, artificial flavors and sweeteners.)
– Cheaper than buying bottled club soda or pop
– Better for you! Bottled club soda is high in sodium, and regular pop is high in sugar, artificial colours and flavours
– Make your own natural flavoured soda! Once you carbonate the water you can add any flavor you like: lemon, lime, watermelon, grapefruit, orange, cranberry…The list goes on and on.
There are a few different models available, but the basic machine is about $100.
The Weekly Health Tip
Summer is a busy time for everyone so I’ve decided to start “The Weekly Health Tip.” It’s a quick tip that I’ll share in 50 words or less. I find I’m always sharing little health tips and tricks with my family and friends so why not share them with my blog readers too?
Here’s the first Weekly Health Tip to kick things off:
When it comes to olive oil, always buy extra virgin olive oil, store it in a cool, dry place and consume it raw in order to take advantage of all its awesome health benefits. Use it in homemade salad dressing or dips; drizzle it on cooked pasta, pizza, sandwiches or soups.