Talk about hot stuff! This vegetarian chili is packed with nutritional pizazz. High in vitamin A, the sweet potatoes are an excellent source of beta-carotene and the black beans are great for the digestive tract. A sure-fire winner with the family, this recipe is great to prepare on a Sunday night. Hopefully there’ll be leftovers!
3 large sweet potatoes, diced
2 cups black beans, canned or soaked and cooked
1 cup green peppers, diced
1 sweet onion, diced
1 tbsp coconut oil, butter or olive oil
2 tsp spicy chili powder
1 tsp chili lime seasoning
1 tsp Tex -Mex seasoning
1 cup fresh cut tomatoes, canned diced tomatoes or tomato sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp fresh lime zest
1. In a large saucepan heat the oil or butter.
2. Add onions and green peppers and cook for two to five minutes.
3. Add tomatoes or sauce and all seasoning and cook for 10 minutes
4. Add sweet potatoes, black beans, lime juice and lime zest and cook for 40 minutes on medium heat.
5. To avoid potatoes becoming mushy, stir infrequently.