Each Friday, #Ottawa sommelier Monique Ippolito introduces us to a new wine worth savouring and sharing.
by Monique Ippolito
- It is absolutely yummy! This wine shows complex and balanced aromas and flavours including loads of black fruit (black plum, cherry and cassis), sweet baking spices, and hints of dark chocolate peppermint.
- The Ribera del Duero is home to one of the world’s best, robust and exclusive areas for red wines. This little wine speaks volumes of what the region can produce. This wine has tremendous capacity for ageing (8-10 years) and elegantly structured fruit, acidity and tannins.
- For its price point, this rich full bodied red wine is a definite value!
- It pairs very well with braised or roasted red/game meats. Mine paired particularly well with a Montreal smoked meat sandwich.
- Usually, when I am hunting for a new wine I tend to glance at their reviews online and/or get assistance from an LCBO product consultant if one is available. In the case of this wine my decision to grab it was pretty much due to my attraction to the artwork on the label. I am thrilled that it tastes incredible nevertheless. So, this brings me to reason number five and how this wine came to be one of my top picks for a rich, bold wine with flair.