Each Friday, #Ottawa sommelier Monique Ippolito introduces us to a new wine worth savouring and sharing.
by Monique Ippolito
Season’s Greetings folks! This is my second last #wineoftheweek blog posting for 2015, so I am making sure it is well worthy of the distinction!
Most of us, at some point in time, have probably enjoyed a glass or two of the Tuscan superstar wine, Chianti. Chianti is made primarily from the Sangiovese grape native to the Tuscan region of Italy. In 1997, the world market began to experience a new twist on this superstar wine. Producers began to blend Sangiovese with Bordeaux grape varietals like Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. What they produced was a masterpiece! These blends were so unique and exceptional that demand (and price) have since rocketed!
So, here are five reasons why this ‘Super Tuscan’ wine – Ruffino Modus – is our wine of the week:
LCBO Vintages #912956 | $29.95
- This is a well-balanced robust red wine offering exceptional value for such a high quality Tuscan. While most of these iconic Tuscan blends start at $100 a bottle, this incredible wine is priced at a fraction!
2. It is blended from 50% Sangiovese, 25% Cabernet Sauvignon and 25% Merlot grapes and comes from the legendary Italian producers who introduced our North American palates to Italian wine. To this day, Ruffino continues to produce consistently high quality consumer focused wines that are incredibly well priced and food friendly.
3. It tastes phenomenal! The aromas and flavours are immensely complex with layers upon layers of blackberry, cherry, leather, dark chocolate, toasted oak, and savoury notes. Over all, this wine is elegantly balanced, full bodied and has a long, rich mouthwatering finish.
4. Still pondering what to buy for your wine-loving in-laws, boss or favourite neighbour? Look no further, the Modus is your ideal pick!
5. It pairs quite well with braised and/or roasted red meats. My bottle paired splendidly with Osso Buco. I foresee this wine being the perfect accompaniment to your Christmas dinner, so feast on!
Happy Holidays Everyone!