Each Friday, #Ottawa sommelier Monique Ippolito introduces us to a new wine worth savouring and sharing.
by Monique Ippolito
This fact might surprise you but Ontario Rieslings are actually an incredible pick for our cozy sweater weather. Here are five reasons why Tawse Quarry Road Organic Riesling is our wine of the week….
LCBO Vintages #198853 | $23.95
- This Ontario Riesling is certified organic and biodynamic folks! This means that Tawse Winery did not just just stop at several years of rigorous organic farming practices on some of their vineyards; they sought to achieve an ever more remarkable accreditation in biodynamic farming by taking their organic practices to a spiritual level. While some people may view biodynamic viticulture as ‘hipster witchcraft,’ it is a centuries old practice based on the belief around the “interconnectivity of the universe:” between man, grape vines, the earth and other celestial bodies. It involves the oldest anti-chemical farming practices and key guidance from a trusted (biodynamic version) of a farmer’s almanac. Hippie dippy or not, Tawse and many other wineries are crafting incredible wines out of their biodynamic farming practices.
- How incredible you ask? Well, just taste it…. believe me, this wine is scrumptious! The key aromas and flavours include: honey, crisp green apple, citrus zest, and hints of wet stone minerality. It is a light bodied, juicy wine with mouthwatering acidity and a long honey-lemon finish.
- Cheers to Canadian wine! This wines speaks volumes of the level of quality Rieslings being crafted from vineyards in the Niagara Escarpment. This one in particular is off-dry on the palate and quite food friendly.
- How food friendly? Well, it pretty much pairs well with everything, especially spicy stews and soups. I have had it with green or red Thai curries, beef chilli, beef stir fry with dried chillis and, currently, I am loving it with chicken tortilla soup.
- Last but certainly not least, this wine comes from an award winning home! This family owned winery has been named Canada’s Winery of the Yearthree years in a row (2010, 2011 & 2012).
For the folks who crave sparkling wine, I also recommend the Tawse Spark (Riesling). It is a sparling version of this Riesling that is not to be missed!