Five reasons why
Huff Estates South Bay Merlot is the wine of week…
$29.95 @ LCBO Vintages #368688
by Monique Ippolito
1. It’s exquisite! Pour a glass and notice the deep ruby red appearance with lovely ripe berry fruit notes (cherry, cassis and raspberry), a hint of smoke (minerality), cracked pepper and luscious acidity.
2. It is proudly Canadian! A hop, skip and a jump westbound from our Nation’s Capital down the 401 and you may very well end up pulling over in Prince Edward County. It is truly remarkable what interesting wines the county can produce and this full bodied Merlot is a testament to their potential.
3. It pairs well with pretty much any protein! BBQ chicken, ribs, steak kebabs, and even cedar planked salmon would pair well with this wine. I enjoyed mine with bacon cheeseburgers.
4. It is going to get better with age. You can cellar this wine for three to five years. By then I assume the price per bottle would be increased almost exponentially.
5. It pairs well with sunsets! If you dislike whites and your go-to reds are not keeping up with the heat, grab a chilled bottle of Merlot (especially this one), some cheese, cured meats, and a couple friends to enjoy your last few summer sunsets.