Keep Kids Safe From Electrical Injuries: #NoSafeShock


Are your kids safe from electric shock? Be sure. Just this past summer, 14-year-old Madison Coe died because she had her phone charging and was using it while in the bathtub. Today’s kids are using technology and gadgets like never before. That’s why it’s particularly important that they know how to do it safely. 

On average, more than 110 kids under 15 end up in the emergency department each year in Ontario because of an electrical injury. More than half of those hurt are under age five. Research has shown that even mild shocks can have long-term after effects. That’s why the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) has launched a new initiative to help Ontario parents prevent shocks at home.

“Kids are curious by nature and often use their hands to explore their surroundings, which puts them at risk for electric shock,” says Dr. Joel Moody, director of safety risk, policy and innovation at ESA. “We are encouraging families to create even safer homes and communities, not just for children, but for all Ontarians. All shocks can be potentially damaging, but all shocks can be prevented.”

A survey conducted on behalf of ESA found that nearly 60 per cent of Ontarians have received a shock. But research shows that even low-voltage shocks like a zap from a toaster or buzz from an outlet can have serious long-term after-effects like memory loss, anxiety or the feeling of pins and needles. 

new video created by ESA shows how electricity flows through the body and the effect it can have.

#NoSafeShock Tips for Parents

To help prevent electrical injuries in the home, particularly with young children, ESA is sharing three simple fixes that can make your home a safe-zone:

1.       Install tamper-resistant (TR) receptacles. They have shutters that cover the plug slots and help prevent little fingers or objects from going into the outlet.

2.       Replace missing or broken cover plates. Protecting outlets with covers creates a barrier between people and exposed wires.

3.       Check your electrical cords for damage or fraying. If a cord is frayed, replace it. Tape doesn’t protect from shock.

To reach even more families, ESA has partnered with Parachute, a leading child safety organization, to educate parents on electrical safety in the home. Learn more about how ESA is working to protect Ontarians from electric shock at



This entry was posted in Living and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.