• 4 limes, juiced
• 3 chipotles in adobo sauce
• 3 tbsp. (45 g) brown sugar
• 1 cup (250 ml) olive oil
• 2×16 oz. (450 g) rib eye steaks, 1 inch thick
• 8 oz. (225 g) creamy Ontario greenhouse cucumber slaw
• Kosher salt to taste
Method for grilled rib eye
1. In a blender, combine lime juice, chipotles and brown sugar. Blend until smooth, then add the olive oil and blend until ingredients are frothy (4 to 6 minutes).
2. Place the steaks in a large glass baking dish and pour half the chipotle marinade over the steaks, then turn steaks. Cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate and let sit for at least 2 hours or overnight. Refrigerate the remaining marinade separately.
3. Remove the steaks and the remaining marinade from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to grilling.
4. Preheat the grill to high.
5. Remove the steaks from the marinade and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
6. Place steaks on the grill for 5 minutes. Flip steaks and cover for an additional 5 minutes for a medium rare steak.
7. Transfer the steaks onto a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
8. Cut the steaks in half, drizzle with the remaining marinade and serve with the cucumber slaw.
• 1 cup (250 ml) plain yogurt
• 1 cup (250 g) Ontario greenhouse cucumbers, seeded and cut into julienne strips
• 3 tbsp. (45 g) fresh dill
• Salt and pepper to taste
Method for creamy Ontario greenhouse cucumber slaw
1. Put the julienne cucumber strips into a strainer and add salt to drain excess water.
2. Mix with yogurt and dill. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Chipotles are smoked jalapeño peppers. They generally come two ways, in a can with adobo sauce or simply dried.
Nutritional Facts per serving (248 g): Calories 620
Fat 45 g (69 %), Saturated Fat 15 g + Trans Fat 1 g (80 %), Cholesterol 115 mg,
Sodium 740 mg (31 %), Carbohydrate 8 g (3 %), Fibre 0 g (0%), Sugars 6 g,
Protein 45 g, Vit A (2 %), Vit C (10 %), Calcium (2 %), Iron (40 %).
% = % Daily Value