Each Friday, #Ottawa sommelier Monique Ippolito introduces us to a new wine worth savouring and sharing. This one is cozy and richly flavoured! Cheers!
by Monique Ippolito
Good day, bonjour! Here are five reasons why the Sterling Vineyards 2012 Merlot is our wine of the week!
LCBO Vintages #330241 | $21.95
1. This bold Napa Valley Merlot is pretty consistent in style and quality year to year. The 2012 vintage was quite exceptional though, in that the grapes enjoyed a long warm growing season, allowing Sterling’s Merlot berries to fully ripen and develop complexity.
2. The rich ripe aromas and flavours of this Merlot just draw you in! The key flavours include: ripe berry jam, cassis, dark plum, clove and touch of dark chocolate mocha in the finish. Even with a (high) 14.5 per cent abv, the alcohol is well integrated and balance with (medium) luscious acidity and (medium) structured tannins.
3. This medium-full bodied Merlot drinks a bit more on the off-dry side so don’t be hesitant about pairing it with slightly spicy dishes. I recommend pairing with beef chilli or harissa lamb stew.
4. It’s on sale until Sunday Nov 8!!! The regular price is $28.00 at the LCBO.
5. It fits the mood folks! Winter is coming, and this is a cozy wine that pairs well with cozy winters.