I love mustard. Do you? There are a few reasons you should make mustard your condiment of choice:
– It’s low in calories: Dijon has 5 calories per teaspoon and yellow mustard has 0 calories!
– Mustard seeds contain selenium (a potent antioxidant) and omega-3 healthy fats.
– Yellow mustard contains turmeric, which is an anti-inflammatory, and good for the health of your brain (especially your memory).
– It has an awesome savoury flavour; a little goes a long way
– It’s versatile: use it as a healthy condiment, in homemade salad dressings and sauces, and as a marinade for meat; add it to tuna or salmon salad instead of mayo, and use it as a healthy dip for whole grain pretzels or raw veggies.
Not all mustard is created equal; look at the ingredient list to make sure it doesn’t contain any artificial food colouring. Maille Dijon and French’s Yellow Mustard are good choices.