Each Friday, #Ottawa sommelier Monique Ippolito introduces us to a new wine worth savouring and sharing.
by Monique Ippolito
- The value for quality, ‘typicity’ and great structure is inarguably unmatched! You can consider this little jewel of a wine a terrific entry level modern Tuscan blend where a touch of Cabernet (10%) and Merlot (5%) is added to the triumphant native Tuscan superstar – The Sangiovese.
- It’s currently in the inexpensive price bracket at a $1.50 markdown until Sunday, Nov 29. Cheers to that!
- It is yummy! The intensity of aromas is moderate with key notes of cherry, blackberry, earth and baking spice. The palate, however, shows more pronounced fruit flavours including cherry, blackberry, toasty oak and hints of mocha. The tannins are mild and acidity is mouthwatering.
- This light to medium bodied red will have a starring role at my holiday gatherings because it’s quite easy drinking, crowd pleasing and food friendly. As our schedules tighten up, this wine could very well become our go to holiday table wine.
- Finally, given the mood most of us may find ourselves in today and throughout the weekend, I say this wine pairs quite well with some Black Friday shopping euphoria.