Each Friday, #Ottawa sommelier Monique Ippolito introduces us to a new wine worth savouring and sharing.
Happy Lucky Friday the 13th folks! A glass of wine may not have brought me luck before but it has certainly improved my mood from time to time. In any case, here is a wine that could definitely brighten up your mood, if not bring you luck today!
Five reasons why Remo Farina Montecorna Ripasso Valpolicella Classico is our wine of the week:
LCBO Vintages #56267 | $19.95
1. I am going to echo my online review of this wine and affirm that it is a “superb bargain for a full-bodied Valpolicella Ripasso.” Ripassos are a tier below Amarones in the Valpolicella wine style pyramid but a good notch above the entry style Corvina grape blend table wines. For the price and quality, this wine is a steal!
2. It’s exciting just to smell! The Montecorna Ripasso carries out a lovely bouquet of aromas including: black plums, blackberries, baking spice, mint and cedar. After a moment in the glass dried fruit (dates) and wet stone characteristics reveal themselves which signals complexity in the wine.
3. It tastes delicious! The dominant flavours you get on the palate include: dried dates, cassis, dark chocolate, cedar, mint and a slightly noticeable perception of alcohol (the heat we feel in the finish) . This wine has young firm tannins, which is what gives us that drying mouthfeel sensation; and high acidity which actually balances out the tannins very well.
4. You will enjoy pairing this full bodied wine with roasted or braised red meats. If you are not so keen on red meat, try pairing it with a platter of aged and/or hard cheeses, preserves, dried fruits and roasted nuts. I even paired mine with a Margherita Pizza and it did not disappoint me one bit!
5. If you are budgeting for gifts or parties this holiday season, this wine is a great one to hoard because it is an excellent crowd pleaser and a worthy gift to any appreciator of wine.