Planning to kick back with a glass of wine this weekend? Or to prepare a yummy bacon-based dish (besides bacon and eggs)? Monique Ippolito gives us the skinny on a great red that will make it a pleasurable occasion.by Monique Ippolito
Five reasons why Enrico Serafino 2010 Barbaresco is the wine of the week.
$19.65 @ LCBO#341156
1. Incredible value for a quality big bold Italian red! Barbarescos are made from Nebbiolo grapes (the same grape used to make top notch Barolos) hailing from the prestigious north-western Italian wine region of Piedmont.
2. Its delicious! Intense ripe red & black berry fruit notes, violets, baking spices (nutmeg & clove) and a touch of mint. It is velvety smooth with young grippy tannins (aerate if drinking now) and overall well-balanced.
3. It pairs remarkably well with bacon based dishes! Paired mine with a bacon, caramelized onion naan bread pizza topped with Gruyère.
4. It makes for an impressive gift to a wine enthusiast without spending an entire pay check.
5. It is currently on a limited time offer for 6 bonus Air Miles® at the LCBO